Monday, February 25, 2013

WEEK 7 Achievements

Hello dear bloggers,

We have reached the culminating point of our training that requires us a top intellectual fitness condition.
 We completed our usual weekly reading and participating in the class discussions, as well as finding links to add to the wallwisher, planning exchange with peer check counter part, developing the technology tools selected for the project with students, and finally maintaining our daily teacher activities.
 Alike the previous weeks, we learnt a lot in reading about learner autonomy in theory through Dimitrios Thanasoulas and Samuel Sheu works, for the practice we were instructed by Susan Gaer various approaches to implement learner autonomy especially with One-computer Classroom.
One key determining principle promoted  in learner autonomy I praise is the one that promotes  learner self esteem.This dimension of pedagogy is also emphasized in Project-Based Learning approach to language teaching/learning.It is primordial for learner to be recognized as a valuable entity in teaching/learning process so it will develop his sense of commitment in learning and by extension in life.
Once again, we received Leslie Opp-Beckman to our discussion thread and she suggested lot of pieces of advises and resources useful for EFL in general and the implementation of week 7 topics.
I created a nicenet classroom and invited my students and friends.
THE CLASS KEY IS: H88K8H8
 I am agreeably surprised with students participation both in my discussion thread and Nataliia's while being on vacation, as for the Skype In The Classroom Technology I decided to keep it but did not required students immediate intervention less I should be too demanding to them, in addition Courtney advised Nataliia and I about the issue of time zone difference.
I am more than happy to work with Hulya because I trust her qualities of hard worker and self discipline she shows on nicenet discussion thread and I am still putting things together to obtain an acceptable input to send her for peer check.

So glad to share this experience with you dear readers.

I wish you all the best,
Mariam

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mariam,

    I was pleased to see the title of your blog post this week, "Achievements". It is wonderful that you possess a feeling of achievement, as you should. I smiled at this because my blog post this week is titled, 'Success", but I almost titled it "Achievements". Isn't it wonderful that we both feel this way?!?!

    I presented a workshop on PBL and a demonstration on online tools to increase speaking and listening at a conference in Mexico City over the weekend and it was a big success. It feels good!

    I'm so glad we are sharing in this feeling. I'm also glad that you feel good about the peer exchange that is taking place this week. You and Hulya will make a great team!

    Best,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mariam,

    Thank you very much for inviting your students and friend to participate in the project. Hope, you'll stay in touch after having finished the course and have a lot of opportunities to organize a great deal of new projects and events online and not only online. I still hope that when we are not so busy as now, we'll certainly think over and prepare a good Skype session to discuss something interesting with our students. I fully agree with Courtney that it's not very easy to organize a Skype lesson because it needs a great deal of preparation, but I believe in us!

    My students are more than happy to collaborate online with people you invited to the project. Lynn was so kind to suggest her books for the students to read and discuss. I am going to prepare comprehension exercises and use them on Reading online blog.

    According to our curriculum my students finished English classes on February, 27, but they still have 2 hours a week of autonomous work and I have already published a new story to read on Reading online blog. Comprehension exercises are coming soon. So, if you or your students are welcome to continue reading if it’s interesting for you.

    As for your blogpost, it is very inspiring, even the title brings a smile to my face, as we really have achieved a lot since we started in January. In my opinion, the best outcome of this course is our collaborating, teaching each other and learning from each other.

    With best wishes, Nataliia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. By the way, if you need your students' comprehension exercises results, I can send them to you from my Qiua grading book.

    Best, Nataliia

    ReplyDelete